About Me

My photo
I'm an Aussie who likes wandering all over the world but keeps coming back home to paradise and my family. If you are reading this on one of my travel blogs, I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed creating them. If you are reading the Diabetes and weight loss blog - I hope it helps in your battle with the beast. Cheers, Alan
Follow loralgt on Twitter

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Epidaurus


Travel Dates May 2003
On our final day in Mycenae we decided to drive East to the coast; I was vaguely aware that Epidaurus was in that direction but we didn't really have a destination in mind; just a desire to wander. We invited Pam to join us, as she didn't have a car. The roads were quiet; not surprising as I tend to use back roads and lanes.

We ate a pleasant lunch in a small village cafe (unfortunately the name escapes me) and then arrived at Epidaurus. This was another city from Homeric times, going back even earlier to pre-Mycenaean times; originally a town of vineyards and sailors. Gradually it became the city most closely associated with Asklepios, who became deified as a result of his infallible medical knowledge in the era of the Trojan War; or so the myth goes. His name lives on as the symbol for doctors: the Rod of Asclepius , sometimes confused as a Caduceus.

The principal archeological sites are associated with the old city and the sanctuary of Asklepios - but to a layman like me the most impressive structure was the amphitheatre.
The theatre is built into the hillside and is in remarkably good condition. And, believe me, it is a long trek to the top on a warm May day - but the view was worth it.

Associated with the site was a very interesting, although small, museum of statues, masonry sections and other interesting artifacts from the site.



On the way back we sidetracked into this tiny little village built as a single long coastal strip. A lovely, pleasant spot for afternoon tea (or coffee, or in my case, wine) .


One of the odd things we kept discovering in Europe was occasional clumps of Aussie eucalypts; obviously no-one has mentioned their occasional habit of becoming raging crown-fires as the Californians have discovered. But it was nice to get that glimpse of home:-)

Cheers, Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment